The Enduring Truths Of Fairy Tales

Eidos | 5/20/2019 | Staff
echolea (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/05/BF69C079-5DA0-4AEC-8AE1-962CF413ACC8.jpeg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/05/BF69C079-5DA0-4AEC-8AE1-962CF413ACC8-768x404.jpeg

One night my parents had a meeting, who knows what tedious committee work was up, but that meant Daniel and I would be exiled to the bedroom all evening. Mom, as Mom’s like Mom do, made this most wonderful by taking us to the library and letting us check out loads of books, records of spoken books, and gave us all the snacks. Imagine an entire evening with Russian fairy tales, snack crackers, cheese, and sweet vinyl of Trumpeter of Krakow.

I recall sitting on the top bunk and wishing that night would never end. Fairy tales from many nations were an early love. The jolly news that every culture had folk tales, fairy tales, stories told for ages, meant that there would also be something else to read. This has proven true.

God - Education - Heights - Stars - Night

God know how thankful I am for higher education: the heights of the dialectic take us to the stars. There was that night in my childhood a deeper education, however. This deeper education laid down lessons I have not yet mastered. For many reasons, I have at times forgotten the lessons of the fairy tales and this has (almost) never been good for me. These old stories from many lands had most of the falsehoods worn away by time and the truths laid bare.

They were also great, joyous, fun. The stories of that evening were varied, but full of common truth.

Humility

Humility is good, but only if freely chosen.

The fairy tale shows that the tyrant exalts himself, pushing down everyone else. The hero is aware of his limits and can act wisely. Self-knowledge allows victory. Ask Aladdin, Cinderella, or Belle.

Beware

Beware!

Tyrants wish to cultivate a false humility to control people. Beware anyone, any system, that would “cultivate” humility. Too often this is an attempt to take those born with the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Appeasement - when you're what's for dinner!
Tagged: