Dem rep: You can't be a Democrat if you don't support abortion, LGBTQ rights

TheHill | 5/20/2019 | John Bowden
cv2angels (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thehill.com/sites/default/files/jayapalpramila_050819gn_lead.jpg

A Democratic lawmaker argued Friday that her party needed to take a strong stance against efforts to restrict abortion rights, telling reporters that it was impossible to be a Democrat and not support the right to an abortion.

At a press conference Friday, Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) told reporters that the party should only support members who agree to a core set of party principles including support for LGBTQ Americans and immigrants.

Party - Response - Board - Jayapal - Reporter

"I think the party's response will be strong, and hopefully you've seen [that] it's been strong across the board," Jayapal said to a reporter who asked how the party should respond to recent efforts in Georgia and Alabama to restrict abortion rights.

"Personally, I do think there should be a core set of Democratic ideals that we all agree to," she added. "That you can't say you're a Democrat if you're against immigrants, if you're against abortion, if you're against gay marriage, LGBTQ rights."

Democrat - Things - Jayapal

"I'm not sure what it means to be a Democrat if all of those things are true," Jayapal added.

Her remarks come as a clear shot aimed at her...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TheHill
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Settled law: one party can't change a contract. Now if the Government, citizens and the Consstitution...