Mitt Romney defends the president after impeachment calls

Mail Online | 5/19/2019 | Emily Goodin, Political Reporter For Dailymail.com;Rod Ardehali For Dailymail.com
normanorma (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/20/03/13701832-0-image-a-12_1558319096853.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2016/03/03/3417810727760674799/1024x576_3417810727760674799.mp4

Mitt Romney has defended the president after a Republican became the first of his party to call for Trump's impeachment.

On Saturday, Justin Amash called for Trump's removal from office for engaging in 'impeachable conduct' stemming from special counsel Robert Mueller's lengthy investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

Romney - President - CNN - View - Justin

But Romney back the president, telling CNN: 'My own view is that Justin Amash has reached a different conclusion than I have. I respect him, I think it's a courageous statement.'

'The American people just aren't there,' he added. 'The Senate is certainly not there, either.'

Mueller - Conspiracy - Trump - Campaign - Russia

Mueller found no criminal conspiracy between Trump's presidential campaign and Russia, but left open the question of whether Trump acted in ways that were meant to obstruct the investigation.

In spite of the defense, Romney refused to endorse the president for re-election next year.

Endorsement - Romney - CNN - 'State - Union

'I'm not ready to make an endorsement yet,' Romney told CNN's 'State of the Union,' adding 'it's way too early.'

Romney, who was the 2012 Republican presidential nominee, also said Trump had some work to do on character issues.

Game - Character - Country - Republican - Utah

'I think he could substantially improve his game when it comes to helping shape the character of the country,' the Republican from Utah said. 'The President has distanced himself from some of the best qualities of the human character.'

But Romney was not ready to join fellow Republican Justin Amash, who said the president 'engaged in actions that meet the thresh hold for impeachment.

Call - Something - Law - Considers - Practicality

'An impeachment call is something that not just relates to the law but considers practicality and politics. And the American people just aren't there,' Romney said.

'I don't think impeachment is the right way to go,' he added.

Report - Was - Number - Reasons

'As I read the report, I was troubled by it. Was very disappointing for a number of reasons. But it did not suggest...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Homeschool or State Thought Police School, you choose.