Maher Slams Bill Barr's 'Cult of Catholicism,' 'Creepy Sub-Strain of Catholic Moralizers'

NewsBusters | 5/18/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/real_time_with_bill_maher_051719.png

On Friday’s edition of Real Time, host Bill Maher devoted part of his closing monologue to trashing Attorney General Bill Barr. While the attack on Barr was probably expected, few could have predicted that the HBO host would use Barr as a pretense to tear into his religion, which Maher referred to as “the cult of Catholicism.”

Maher concluded his satirical segment “New Rules” by taking a shot at Barr: “[I]f you look like you’ve got a stick up your ****, you’ve got a stick up your ****.” When trying to explain “[w]hat happened to Bill Barr,” Maher declared that “In 1950, he was born into a strange cult and he’s never been able to leave. It’s called Catholicism.”

Barr - J - Line - Republican - Catholic

Maher described Barr as “[j]ust the latest in a long line of Republican Catholic moralizers,” before mocking Barr for trashing the sexual revolution and the drug culture. He scoffed at Barr’s past statements arguing that “the greatest threat to free government, the Founders believed, was not governmental tyranny, but personal licentiousness,” and that “the Founders believed the choice was clear. We could govern ourselves guided by religion and morality, or we could lose our liberty altogether.” Maher pushed back on Barr’s analysis: “Yes, they believed it so strongly, they wrote it down nowhere.”

Maher went on to attack the “creepy sub-strain of Catholic conservatives” including Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, Rick Santorum, Pat Buchanan, and Bill Bennett. Maher also complained that while the country is only 21 percent Catholic, the Supreme Court is 67 percent Catholic before taking a shot at “Clarence Thomas and his batshit wife Ginni.”

Record - Math - Percent

For the record, his math doesn’t add up. Five out of nine does not equal 67 percent.

Maher also mocked the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia for once writing “if it were up to me, I would put...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The beatings will continue until moral improves.