Former soldier MP's fury at fresh round of 'witchhunt' probes into Northern Ireland veterans

Mail Online | 5/16/2019 | James Wood For Mailonline
smilingbearsmilingbear (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/16/13/13573418-0-image-a-100_1558008929739.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2016/12/08/505865319042730290/1024x576_MP4_505865319042730290.mp4

An MP who served in Northern Ireland during the Troubles today expressed outrage at plans to launch a fresh round of probes into veterans stationed there.

Bob Stewart, 69, was speaking in the House of Commons this morning at an urgent question posed by Mark Francois MP.

Debate - Plans - £150million - Unit - Incidents

It prompted debate on the proposed plans to set up a £150million unit to investigate incidents during the Troubles.

In an impassioned speech, Mr Stewart, who completed seven tour of Northern Ireland, said: 'I lost many men and I was involved in fatality shootings.

'I - Others - Investigations - Awful - Through

'I was investigated along with others. The investigations were thorough, aggressive and bloody awful to go through.'

He noted that when the investigations were completed, soldiers sometimes had to go and prove they'd acted in accordance the yellow card - designed to ensure a solider acted within the law.

Soldiers - Court - Thing

He continued: 'I told two soldiers in 1978 [...] that because they'd been to court and been proved innocent [...] they would never ever be asked to do such a thing again.

'How the **** can our government allow such people to be possibly investigated again?'

Comments - Day - Defence - Secretary - Penny

His comments come just one day after Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt said she was determined to end the 'chilling' threat of repeated investigations into those who served during the Troubles.

She unveiled plans for a new law that will stop soldiers from being probed over incidents more than ten years old unless compelling new evidence comes to light.

Amnesty - Northern - Ireland - Ms - Mordaunt

While the amnesty will not immediately extend to those who served in Northern Ireland, Ms Mordaunt said it was a 'personal priority' of hers to make this a reality in the future.

Such a move would be at odds with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.