Camila Mendes on Lili Reihnart, Charles Melton, and Sansa Stark — Yes, From Game of Thrones

POPSUGAR Entertainment | 5/15/2019 | Kelsey Garcia
Click For Photo: https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/aFZyD43qilrRayofgOQ0p9WDbqE/0x64:2724x1494/fit-in/1200x630/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2019/05/15/626/n/1922283/6d45ed1e5cdc1c0ca1a747.37549795_.jpg

Not long after graduating from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, Mendes stepped into the role of iconic Archie Comics character Veronica Lodge. It was her big break — emphasis on big. Since its premiere in 2017, Riverdale has spawned a passionate fan base and two series in its shared universe, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and the forthcoming Katy Keene. From the Riverdale set in Vancouver, real-life friendships and relationships have also blossomed.

"We have grown together through all of this."

Bond - Lili - Reinhart - Veronica - BFF

On her bond with Lili Reinhart, who portrays Veronica's BFF Betty Cooper, Mendes said, "She and I have shared so many moments together and have grown together through all of this. We really take advantage of that — the friendship that we have that is bonded by this really unique experience." Mendes is also relieved that in this modern adaptation of the comic book, Betty and Veronica are friends, not frenemies. "We're not doing the catty thing. We're not doing the rivalry. We're not playing that out. We're playing the support and the empowerment," Mendes said. "That gave the show an entirely different energy."

The series also introduced Mendes to her boyfriend, Charles Melton, who took over the role of Reggie Mantle in the second season. Veronica and Reggie start hooking up in the third season — and then Mendes and Melton started dating. "It's funny, when they started writing Veronica and Reggie getting together, Charles and I weren't together," she said. "The fans thought that the writers only put that in the story because he and I were dating. It was completely the other way around."

Fan - Response - Veronica - Archie - Fans

What was the fan response like, particularly from those passionate Veronica and Archie fans? "Surprisingly, mixed. I thought people were going to be really mad because they just hate when anything changes," Mendes said....
(Excerpt) Read more at: POPSUGAR Entertainment
Wake Up To Breaking News!