The Best TV Characters Critics Had to Learn to Love — IndieWire Critics Survey

IndieWire | 5/14/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Helen-Sloan-HBO-11-copy.jpg

This week’s question: Who is a TV character you learned to love or grew on you? This could be because more was revealed about the character, the character evolved, or you the viewer evolved.

In the early days of “Game of Thrones,” I (as a former tomboy) identified strongly with Arya, and I still have a deep fondness for the character. But as Sansa Stark has grown up, it’s become clear she’s more and more capable of owning the show, and my growing respect for what Sansa has gone through over the years has endeared her to me… at least until this season and some very poor writing choices on the part of Benioff and Weiss. But despite those choices, I’ve been surprised by how fond I’ve gotten of Sansa. Girl certainly deserved a helluva lot better than she’s gotten.

Ser - Jaime - Lannister - Casterly - Rock

Ser Jaime Lannister of Casterly Rock. He tried to murder tiny, bright-eyed Bran Stark in the first episode — but Jaime also had to break an oath to single-handedly prevent (or at least delay for decades, I guess) Aerys II’s intended holocaust.

Roland Pryzbyelewski, “The Wire”

Michiel - Huisman - Treme

Michiel Huisman, “Treme”

Usually, I am pretty good at differentiating between characters who were meant to frustrate me and ones who just frustrate me despite the creative team’s intentions. With Sonny, the junkie musician on “Treme,” I couldn’t resist hating a character the show didn’t want me to like. As Sonny’s drug habit and his jealousy of more talented partner Annie threatened to drag them both down, I became overly protective of her and pretty condemnatory of him. If you go back and look at some of my recaps from that show’s first season, I was very very harsh on him in a way that suggested he was ruining the show for me. I think at some point, David...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never under estimate the power of the people, especially when they are a stupid mass!