How to Create a Custom Color Palette in Adobe Photoshop

MakeUseOf | 5/13/2019 | Shianne Edelmayer
Click For Photo: https://static.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/custom-palette-photoshop-994x400.jpg

Adobe Photoshop is an incredibly versatile program. Whether it’s textures, gradients, or paint brushes, there seems to be no end to the ways that you can adapt this program to suit your needs.

However, when it comes to coloring your images, what if you don’t like Adobe Photoshop’s default color swatches? With that in mind, here’s how to create a custom color palette in Photoshop.

Thing - Image - Inspiration

The first thing you’ll want to do is open an image where you can draw “color inspiration” from.

For this tutorial I’m going to use the file we created for another tutorial explaining how to use the blending mode in Photoshop.

Blending - Mode - Photoshop

How to Use the Blending Mode in Photoshop

Photoshop's blending mode can be daunting. Here are the basics of the blending mode in Adobe Photoshop to get you started.

File - Setup - One - Image - Center

After you open up your file, you’ll see a screen setup similar to the one I have now. Your image will be in the center of your workspace, and your default color palette will be along the right side.

The place where we’ll be focusing our efforts is the Color Swatches Panel, located in the top right-hand corner of your workspace.

Default - Color - Swatches - Group - Squares

This is what your default color swatches will look like, so long as you leave them unaltered—a group of squares laid out in a grid.

Along the top row you’ll see a series of seemingly random colors. These are colors I’ve sampled recently with my Eyedropper tool in my own version of Photoshop. Photoshop puts them there so I can quickly pull them up again if I need to.

Samples - Grid - Grid - Photoshop - Default

Beneath these samples is a rectangular grid. This grid contains Photoshop’s default color palette.

This grid is fine by itself, but as mentioned we’re creating a custom color palette, so we won’t need it. Let’s get rid of these swatches.

Color - Swatches - Click

To delete these color swatches, click...
(Excerpt) Read more at: MakeUseOf
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Democrate or Republican, the difference is less than the thickness of a cigarette paper, or a slice of pastrami at a delicatesean.