Devon village is at centre of row over plans to burn life-sized replica of The Mayflower

Mail Online | 5/10/2019 | Emer Scully For Mailonline
Matty123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/10/10/13332408-0-image-a-42_1557479214110.jpg

Americans have slammed a British village's 'sickening' plan to burn a replica of The Mayflower ship.

The Great Torrington Cavaliers host a charity bonfire in the Devon village every five years where they burn replicas of well-known sights.

Event - Fire - Plans - Ship - Pilgrims

But the event has come under fire after announcing it next plans to burn the ship that first brought the pilgrims from Plymouth to Cape Cod, America, in 1620.

Previous sights to be burnt include Trumpton in 2015, Pudding Lane in 2000 and HMS Victory in 2005 - but the group have never received criticism before.

Images - Plans - Americans - Post - Event

After images of their plans were shared online Americans commenting on the post branded the event 'disturbing and incredibly odd'.

The group is currently in the process of building a life size replica of The Mayflower ship, ahead of a bonfire in 2020 to mark the 50th year of the Cavalier bonfires and 400 years since the first pilgrims landed in America.

Comment - Post - 'It - Ship - History

One comment on the post said: 'It's the most important ship in American history. The Mayflower is not an abomination. I would never want to see it set on fire.'

Another said: 'Sorry, Americans just don't do the bonfire thing. To us this is almost sickening to think about!

Anything - Fire - Mayflower - Family

'Setting anything on fire which even resembles the Mayflower, which my family came over on, is disturbing.

'We just...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!