Barr jokes about being held in contempt by Congress at Rosenstein send-off

Mail Online | 5/9/2019 | Dailymail.com Reporter;Associated Press
moemajor (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/10/06/13315694-0-image-a-57_1557467289358.jpg

It was all laughs between the current and former attorney generals as they joked about contempt charges and Trump nicknames at Rod Rosenstein's send-off.

Hundreds of Justice Department employees gathered on Thursday to bid farewell to the deputy attorney general, capping a tenure marked by a tumultuous relationship with the president.

Attorney - General - William - Barr - Attorney

Attorney General William Barr and former Attorney General Jeff Sessions were among the speakers and couldn't help but crack a few jokes.

Barr began by asking the crowd whether he or Rosenstein had the best 'deadpan expression'.

Debate - Months - Tonight - Rosenstein - Deadpan

'There's been a debate raging the last few months and I think we have to get it resolved and decided tonight,' he said, asking Rosenstein to stand next to him. 'Which one of us is capable of the best deadpan expression?'

'Now, I think this is a little unfair because I do my best work in Congressional hearings. Rod does his standing behind the attorney general at press conferences,' Barr quipped before the crowd gave Rosenstein the win.

Ceremony - Time - Justice - Department - Scores

The ceremony itself comes at a turbulent time for the Justice Department, with scores of Democrats calling for Barr's resignation.

But Barr hardly seemed fussed by the fact that, just the day before, the House Judiciary Committee had voted to hold him in contempt after he refused to comply with a subpoena for a full un-redacted version of Robert Mueller's report.

'You - Records - Barr - Rosenstein - Record

'You like records,' Barr said to Rosenstein. 'This must be a record, of an attorney general being proposed for contempt within 100 days of taking office.'

Sessions couldn't help but note that all three men had experiences at the Justice Department that were 'not normal'.

'So - Doubt - Lot - Controversies - Tenure

'So when we came in, I had no doubt there would be a lot of controversies during my tenure,' he said.

'The office of attorney general just frequently finds itself...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!