Jeonju Film Festival top prize goes to 'From Tomorrow On, I Will'

Screen | 5/9/2019 | Jean Noh
Click For Photo: https://d1nslcd7m2225b.cloudfront.net/Pictures/2000x2000fit/3/2/2/1302322_fromtomorrowoniwillcivanmarkovicwulinfeng_220891.jpg

The 20th Jeonju International Film Festival’s Grand Prize in the International Competition has gone to From Tomorrow On, I Will, directed by Ivan Markovic and Wu Linfeng.

Running May 2-11 this year, the fest held its awards ceremony last night (May 8) and will close May 11 with Guy Nattiv’s Skin, starring Jamie Bell.

China-Germany-Serbia - Co-production - World - Premiere - Berlinale

A China-Germany-Serbia co-production which made its world premiere in the Berlinale Forum, From Tomorrow On, I Will follows a night watchman in the megacity of Beijing.

Festival director Lee Choong-jik told Screen, “In the first five days of the festival, including Opening Day, out of 362 we had 259 screenings - including 52 VR cinema - sold out, hitting a record 71.5% of sold-out screenings. Compared to the same period last year, that’s 66 more sold-out screenings, and I think that shows audiences’ enthusiastic reaction towards the 20th edition’s programme.

Cinema-goers - Festival - Focus - Cinema - Festival

He added that what he once thought might seem “difficult” to cinema-goers - in the festival’s focus on independent and alternative cinema - has grown the festival over the years.

Another film that world premiered in the Berlinale Forum this year, Homing, picked up Jeonju’s Best Picture Prize. The Brazil-Germany co-production about a Brazilian cowboy who faces down trauma was directed by Helvecio Marins Jr.

Director - Addition - Jury - Programming - Team

The director, in addition to thanking the jury and programming team, noted: “The 100 years of Korean Cinema section was fantastic to get the history of Korea” and echoed...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Screen
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Have you forgotten?