Google brings AR and Lens closer to the future of search

CNET | 5/7/2019 | Scott Stein
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/jdLAQp9qNdqpCirDALsueB7_qKE=/756x567/2019/05/07/f01abd78-65a3-4db9-9ba5-a0f242b35bea/google-io-2019-ar-augmented-reality-0490.jpg

Imagine you're thinking about chairs, and you Google up some to try out in your living room. Or, you're looking at a subway map in Tokyo, and you see suggestions on what routes to take that suddenly appear, translated into your own language. Google AR and Google Lens are getting there faster than you think.

I'm in Google's Immersive Lab in Mountain View ahead of Google I/O 2019, looking at a restaurant menu on the table through the lens of the phone in my hand. What looks interesting to order? The display glimmered, and suddenly options are highlighted for me.

Dancing - Dragons - Avatars - AR - VR

These aren't the wild dancing dragons or holographic avatars you might associate with AR and VR. There are no Pokemon to find, or weird new headsets to try on. Instead, Google's augmented reality vision this year is a double dose of attention to utility and assistance, as AR comes to Google Search and Google Lens aims to help people read. While it may seem tamer than years past, and it's not as showy as recent Google AR projects involving Marvel and Childish Gambino, Google's trying to be legitimately helpful. After dozens of smartglasses and AR headsets have come and gone, we need real reasons to use this tech. Can Google find a way forward?

Watch this: Google Search gets AR, and Google Lens wants to be your...

Years - Google - Glass - Take - Smartglasses

It's been six years since Google Glass' early take on smartglasses, five years since Google Tango's experimental AR phone and two years since Google Lens offered a way to scan the world with a phone camera. Google's view of AR may be shifting and maybe that's inevitable. As AR in phones has crossed from novelty to ubiquitous reality, Google's next mission seems to be about finding a good use for AR -- at least until future smartglasses,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!