A Reader Ponders Becoming Orthodox

Catholic and Enjoying It! | 4/30/2019 | Staff
entengoentengo (Posted by) Level 3
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-woman-writing.jpg

They write:

I’m thinking of actually converting to orthodox. My dad was. I’ve been reading the orthodox way and Frederica Matthews-Green, and feel called, like a vocation.

Friends - Catholic - Orthodox - Prostitute - Street

It came down to me walking with two friends, one catholic and one orthodox. We saw a prostitute (not unusual for 14th Street at night). My catholic buddy wanted to cross the street. My ortho pal said we should pray for her.

I told another ortho friend I’ve been going to Byz DL. He asked, “Why not come all the way home?” that’s bothered me a lot over the years. Nagging thought, you might say.

Faith - Friends - Events

Do you think I’m betraying my faith? Would I have to give up my catholic friends and events?

I had to ask some Bosnian Muslim friends of mine for input, too. I felt like I was betraying them because Serbian Orthodoxy is very entwined with nationalistic fervor. But we don’t seem to have that problem here, unless you count fundamental evangelists.

Judgment - Terms - Faith - Pay - Grade

I’m not going to sit in judgment of you in terms of ‘betraying your faith’. That’s above my pay grade. I can only say how I would approach the issue.

The first thing I would note is that the issue is discipleship to Jesus Christ that has to be be at the center or there’s no point. I mean yours, not somebody else’s. What is Jesus calling you to do and be in your service to him? That is a positive, not a negative, call. So as the Holy Spirit put it to me when I was looking at becoming Catholic, the truth is you can’t build a life on protest.

Protestant - Church - Catholic - Lord

What I mean is this: I was really pissed at my former Protestant church and was tempted to become Catholic, not to say, ‘Yes, Lord. Lead me’ but to say, ‘**** you’ to my...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic and Enjoying It!
Wake Up To Breaking News!