Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2018/09/wi/afp/09/a17e1b_duterte-who-has-previously-admitted-he-is-not-versed-in-economics-did-not-e1556556727857-639x335.jpg
A spokesperson for Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday played down an apparent declaration of war against Canada, arguing that it was merely a “figure of speech.”
Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo clarified that Duterte does not plan to go to war with Ottawa, but that he was serious about his demands that the Canadian government return a garbage shipment illegally sent to the country in 2013.
Expression - Outrage - Term - Panelo - Reporters
“That was an expression of outrage couched in a very strong term,” Panelo told reporters during a press briefing at Manila’s presidential palace, Malacañang. “I don’t think any country would want to trigger another world war where all of us will get annihilated.”
“I want a boat prepared. I’ll give a warning to Canada maybe next week that they better pull that thing out or I will set sail, there in Canada, I will dump their trash there,” Duterte said last week. “I will declare war against them. I will advise Canada that your garbage is on the way. Prepare a grand reception. Eat it if you want to.”
Week - Malacañang - Statement - Canada - Failure
Last week, Malacañang released a statement warning Canada’s failure to return the garbage illegally placed in the Philippines was damaging relations between the two countries.
“The seventy years of diplomatic relations between the two countries will be put to naught if Canada will not act with dispatch and finality the resolution of this undiplomatic episode to which we take outrage,” Panelo said.
Embassy - Manila - Experts - Spectrum - Issues
The Canadian embassy in Manila has since confirmed that experts are “examining a full spectrum of issues relating...
Wake Up To Breaking News!