Obama sent an aide to talk Biden out running for president in 2016

Mail Online | 4/25/2019 | David Martosko, U.s. Political Editor For Dailymail.com
iVchan (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/28/20/12829082-0-image-a-33_1556481152223.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/04/25/6922952261300470664/1024x576_MP4_6922952261300470664.mp4

Barack Obama did his level best to nudge Joe Biden out of the 2016 presidential race, after concluding that Hillary Clinton was more electable.

The then-president 'gently pressed' his vice president during a series of weekly lunches, according to a report in The New York Times, tapping him toward the conclusion that he wasn't up to the grueling task of running.

Hammer - Aide - David - Plouffe

And then came the hammer: Obama sent political aide David Plouffe to talk him out of it.

It worked. Biden scrapped an announcement speech he had drafted. Instead, he declared alongside Obama in a Rose Garden speech that the time he spent grieving the death of his son Beau from brain cancer had closed the path forward.

Age - Biden - Time - Days - White

Now, at age 76, Biden has decided his time has come. But days after he launched his third White House run in earnest, an Obama endorsement still seems a great distance away.

The former vice president gamely responded to the lack of a legacy-nod by telling reporters on Thursday that he wanted it that way.

President - Obama - Day - One - Campaign

'I asked President Obama not to endorse me,' he claimed during a Day One campaign stop.

'He doesn't want to – whoever wins this nomination should win it on their own merits. Welcome to Delaware.'

Obama - Objections - Place - Moment - Ben

Obama's objections in 2016 came 'from a good place, from wanting the best for him in that moment,' Ben Rhodes, a former White House national security spokesman, told the Times.

But Biden's 'head was just someplace else' in the wake of losing his son, he recalled.

Events - Day - Iowa

'And if you're going to do three or four events a day in Iowa, it's just hard...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: