Justin Fairfax aide who resigned after sex assault allegations speaks out

Virginian-Pilot | 4/26/2019 | Staff
PaMe (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/pilotonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/4b/34ba11e2-4b89-5e08-9c97-96fcc77d128f/5ca2529855739.image.jpg?resize=945%2C630

A woman who resigned as Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax's policy director in the days after two women accused him of sexual assault said on Thursday that she felt "brainwashed, betrayed and retraumatized" by the way he has handled the allegations against him.

At a Rally Against Rape event in Arlington's Gateway Park Thursday night, Adele McClure spoke for nearly 20 minutes. Her talk was streamed live on Facebook. She recounted how she was sexually assaulted at age 16 by someone she barely knew.

Feelings - Encounter - Years - Fault

Then she "moved on and buried it deep," she said. "I have not thought about that, or those feelings, or that encounter, for 14 years. I suppressed them, and I pushed them deep down inside. And I convinced myself that it was my fault."

McClure said in an interview Friday that the speech "was one of the most difficult things I've ever done in my life. There was still a part of me that wanted to protect (Fairfax). Down to the last minute, I almost scratched everything I was going to speak about (him).

"I just couldn't be silent anymore."

Adele McClure, Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax's former policy director, speaks at the Rally Against Rape at Arlington's Gateway Park on Thursday, April 25, 2019.

McClure - Virginia - Commonwealth - University - Graduate

McClure, 30, is a Virginia Commonwealth University graduate who last year was recognized on Forbes' 30 Under 30 list for law and policy while serving as Fairfax's policy director. She worked on his 2013 and 2017 campaigns. Growing up she was often homeless and is now working on the issues of homelessness and eviction on a short-term basis for a state agency under the housing department.

In early February — amid other scandals in the Democratic administration involving Gov. Ralph Northam and Attorney General Mark Herring — Vanessa Tyson, a professor at Scripps College, said Fairfax sexually assaulted her in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Virginian-Pilot
Wake Up To Breaking News!