Women don't want to use weights at the gym because of men who ogle at them

Mail Online | 4/26/2019 | Vanessa Chalmers Health Reporter For Mailonline
Tanya9 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/25/16/12714396-0-image-a-42_1556206751972.jpg

If you're a woman who wants to lift weights at the gym but are too scared to leave the treadmill, you aren't alone.

Women are avoiding the dumbbells because they feel intimidated by men, according to research.

'gymtimidation - Years - Problems - Women - Equipment

Dubbed 'gymtimidation' a few years ago, problems addressed by women include being ogled as they work out and having to use equipment that isn't suitable for the female physique.

It leaves women fleeing the gym after an unsatisfying workout, or having to go during quiet times.

Interviewees - Comments - Study - Star - Ellie

Interviewees' comments in the study echo those of pop star Ellie Goulding who revealed she finds it distressing that men watch her in the gym with a 'smug smile'.

Goulding said she hates men staring at her in the gym and judging her for exercising.

Interview - Women - Health - Magazine - Men

In an interview with Women's Health magazine in 2015, she said: 'The men stop what they are doing and look at you with a smug smile and that bums me out so much.

'But I won't stop. I won't stop running up and down that thing just because they are staring at me as if what I'm doing is out of the ordinary or unladylike. F*** that.'

Years - Ellie - Goulding - Comments - Issue

It's been four years since Ellie Goulding's comments – but the issue still stands, according to Dr Luke Turnock, a researcher at the University of Winchester.

Dr Turnock, who interviewed 25 women who go to the gym for his study, said he has seen women going into the weights area, taking equipment and immediately leaving to work out somewhere more private.

'One - Issues - Feeling - Intimidation - Areas

He said: 'One of the primary issues identified was a feeling of intimidation when using certain areas or equipment.

'Crossing the divide into the male space could be intimidating, and the majority of women, even those who were themselves comfortable in other areas of the gym, commented on this issue.'

'It seems...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I love to post, but I never read the article!
Tagged: