Memorizing Scripture: One Encouragement and One Warning

ChurchLeaders | 4/24/2019 | Staff
hoppers911 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/4.25.WORSHIP.CC.MemorizingScripture.jpg

In my 20s, I spent a lot of time sleeping in camp motel rooms, eating powdered eggs, and leading youth camp worship services. At one such event, I was on stage, getting ready to lead the post-sermon worship, when the camp speaker—Afshin Ziafat—asked the students a question about memorizing Scripture. Jesus saved Afshin out of a Muslim background, so this is how he phrased the question: “If I was still a Muslim, how many of you could walk on stage and share the Gospel with me, using only the Scripture that you have memorized?” I remember standing behind Afshin and thinking, “Lord, please don’t let him call on me.”

Up to this point in my life, I had put a lot of time and effort into my craft. I led worship three times per week, I learned how to take care of my voice and project to an audience, I memorized every song on that first Jars of Clay record (even the ones in alternate tunings), but I had not given much time or effort to scripture memory.

Moment - Holy - Spirit - God - Word

It was in this moment that I felt convicted by the Holy Spirit to devote myself to hiding God’s Word in my heart. From my perspective, this is when my real ministry work began.

One Encouragement: Make Scripture memory part of your daily routine.

List - Reading - Prayer - Memory - Day

My daily to-do list includes three non-negotiables: Bible reading, prayer and Bible memory. There’s no “day off” to rest FROM these disciplines.

Trust me, I’ve tried that. If I spend my “day off” watching college football, drinking Dr. Pepper and reading sports blogs, I will end up feeling irritable and restless by the end of the day. The Bible tells me (and experience has shown me) that true rest is found in Jesus (Matthew 11:28), and I encounter Jesus through Scripture memory,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!