My conscience is clear over Jill Dando's murder says Barry George

Mail Online | 4/26/1999 | James Wood For Mailonline
ziggy1023 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/25/02/12687226-0-image-a-6_1556154294869.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/04/02/9133182698791481559/1024x576_MP4_9133182698791481559.mp4

The man wrongly convicted of murdering former Crimewatch presenter Jill Dando has claimed his conscience is clear - saying he knows he didn't do it.

Barry George, now 59, was cleared of murder in 2008 after spending seven years in jail for the killing of Ms Dando outside her west London home on April 26, 1999.

Anniversary - Killing - Innocent - Crime - 'the

He has now, on the 20th anniversary of the killing, said once again that he his innocent of the crime and that 'the truth of the real killer is somewhere out there.'

He told a new ITV documentary, Jill Dando - The 20 Year Mystery, that he knows he didn't do it and is sad he was pursued through the courts with what he says was 'no sound evidence.'

Documentary - Tonight - Interviews - Dando - Friends

The documentary, which airs tonight, features interviews with one of Dando's best friends, Sir Cliff Richard, as well as Barry George and his sister Michelle Bates, and reveals new information uncovered in boxes of evidence from the first trial.

It claims that a Serbian hit squad could have been responsible for the killing of then 37-year-old Dando, who had recently presented a charity appeal to raise money for Kosovan refugees. Soon after NATO bombs fell on the Serbian state broadcaster, RTS.

People - Television - Presenter - Murder - George

Asked if he thinks there are people out there who still think he is responsible for the television presenter's murder, George said: 'There are probably a select few people who may think, "Okay, he's been through the case. He's got off on a technicality, probably, or whatever." But my conscience was clear - I knew I hadn't done it.'

Eleven years on from his acquittal George is frustrated he never received any compensation because the Justice Secretary ruled he had not sufficiently proved his innocence. The case was reopened but there have been no new arrests since then.

He...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It just doesn't get bettere than this...