Introverts and Church: 9 Reasons Introverts Can Do Well in Ministry

ChurchLeaders | 4/24/2019 | Staff
princia (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/4.25.HOME_.CC.IntrovertsWellMinistry.jpg

I write this post with some reticence since I’m an introvert—and I don’t want to imply that I’ve done well in ministry. I know so many things I could still do better that I feel no right to claim success.

At the same time, though, I have students who are surprised to learn that many ministers are introverted. Extroverts can be great ministry leaders, of course, but so can introverts. Based on my experience with other introverts and my own study, here’s why I affirm introverts in ministry:

Introverts - Things - One - Things - Trait

Introverts tend to be intensely thoughtful. We take things in and consider them deeply, even if no one else knows how deeply we’ve done so. We tend to think about things before doing them—generally a good trait for all gospel ministers.

We enjoy being alone. I grant that aloneness can also get people in trouble, but we don’t mind spending time doing things like prayer and study. We may still struggle with doing those things, but it’s not because we’d rather be “where the action is.” Private time with the Lord can be quality time.

Emotions - Again - Trait - Emotions - Frustrations

We tend to keep our emotions inside us. Again, that trait can be negative, but ministry often demands that we listen and lead while dealing with our internal emotions and frustrations. We reflect...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!