What Happened 5 Other Times Joe Biden Was Deciding Whether to Run for President

ABC News | 10/20/2015 | Staff
srqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s.abcnews.com/images/Politics/AP_joe_biden_01_jef_151019_16x9_992.jpg

The political world may have reached a fever pitch ahead of Vice President Joe Biden's decision as to whether to seek the White House in 2016. But for Biden, this is not new territory.

At 72, it may be the last time Biden will have to decide whether or not to run for president. But as a man who has spent the majority of his life in public service dreaming of one day occupying the Oval Office, it is a decision he has deliberated at least a handful of times before now.

Look - Times - Biden - White - House

Here’s a look back at the two previous times that Biden did seek the White House and the other three other instances when he considered the prospect before deciding against it.

The 1980 presidential contest was the first time Biden toyed with the idea of getting in the race.

Memoir - Biden - Doubts - Prospect - Idea

In his memoir “Promises to Keep,” Biden writes that he faced doubts about the prospect even as he had just begun to consider the idea. “I have no business making a run for president,” Biden recalled thinking. “I was thirty seven-years old...Am I flying too close to the sun?”

Biden found encouragement on the topic from many of his close advisers, who came up with a plan for capturing nomination. But Biden recalled that his aide John Martilla ultimately “broke the spell” by challenging him to contemplate two questions.

Questions - President - President - Martilla - Biden

“The questions you have to ask are why you’re running for president and what will you do when you are president,” Martilla said to Biden. “You shouldn’t run until you know the answer to those questions.”

The questions effectively put an end to Biden’s deliberations for another four years, when he would again considered the idea in the lead-up to the 1984 cycle.

People - Biden - Biden - Memoir

The same people who encouraged Biden to run in 1980, Biden wrote in his memoir,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ABC News
Wake Up To Breaking News!