Parenting Is Less About What We Get Wrong And More About What We Get Right

Kristen Welch | 4/24/2019 | Kristen
Click For Photo: http://wearethatfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/IMG_9024-1-600x600.jpg

I was stirring dinner and a salty tear or two might have splashed into the soup.

I had just sent all three of my kids to their rooms because honestly, they were safer there.

Kids - Sleepover - Eye - Word - Noises

One of my kids was so whiny from a sleepover my eye twitched every third word she said, my middle one was following me around making noises and my teen had just hurt my feelings.

I stirred soup and thought about all the things that had gone wrong in the last hour and how I had handled them and I cried.

Son - Doorway

I looked up and saw my teen son standing in the doorway.

He didn’t say a word. He walked over and wrapped his arms around me and he hugged me for a long time. He’s 6 foot tall, this gangly boy-child of mine and all I could think was, “He is acting like a man.” And I swallowed the enormous lump in my throat.

Siblings - Mom

He spoke for his siblings and said, “We’re sorry, Mom,” and then he was gone.

I stood in the kitchen and thought about how quickly my perception of my kids gets distorted. I live so up- close to them. I’m their manager, their evaluator, cheerleader, and chief overseer. I scrutinize and organize and sometimes forget to realize who they are right now and not just who they are becoming.

Kids

I mean, yeah, I know I am blessed with wonderful kids. I know this.

But in the moments when I feel like their behavior is a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Kristen Welch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: