›

New iPad feature to compete with laptops reportedly arrives in iOS 13

CNET | 4/24/2019 | Jason Hiner
cute16 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/OnEUmCMlgi2ur0DDojQumLwa-P0=/756x567/2018/10/30/f6070ba1-4ada-488c-a451-f155d5ffc423/012-ipad-pro-2018-nyc.jpg

The debate over whether an Apple iPad can replace a laptop remains pretty polarized. But with the launch of the next iteration of iOS, Apple could finally remove one of the longest-running arguments against the iPad as a productivity device.

The iPad is on track to get mouse support for the first time, according to Federico Viticci, editor in chief of MacStories. Viticci revealed his scoop on episode 239 of the Connected podcast. It was confirmed on Twitter by Steve Troughton-Smith, a long-time Apple developer from Ireland.

Years - Plenty - People - IPad - Lament

Over the years, I've heard from plenty of smart people who really like the iPad but lament over the fact that they could do a lot more things with it if they could just plug in a mouse or a trackpad when they need to power through emails, edit photos, or perform traditional desktop tasks. In other words, I agree with Troughton-Smith that pro users would welcome this development.

Viticci and Troughton-Smith left plenty of wiggle room in their statements. Both appear to have knowledge that Apple has been working on the feature, but since they aren't on the iOS product team they obviously can't confirm whether it will officially make it into iOS 13. CNET reached out to Apple for comment and will add to this story when there's additional information to report.

Viticci - Report - Mouse - Support - Couple

Viticci said he heard the report about iPad getting mouse support from "a couple of people a few months ago." It was in the context of getting a mouse cursor on the iPad as an "accessibility feature." He suggested that it would be part of AssistiveTouch, which helps people with motor-skill limitations to operate their iOS devices more easily.

"What I heard is that, without adapters, you will be able to use any USB mouse on your iPad, but as an accessibility device," Viticci...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: