Rachel Held Evans Needs Your Prayers, Not Your Disclaimers

ChurchLeaders | 4/23/2019 | Staff
bungienet (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/RachelHeldEvans.jpg

Rachel Held Evans, a popular author, and voice for the progressive Christian camp, is currently in a medically-induced coma. A handful of Evans’ “theological adversaries” who have openly disagreed with her work or her political stances have indicated they are praying for her swift healing.

On April 14th, Evans told her followers she was in the hospital due to the flu, a urinary tract infection, and an allergic reaction to antibiotics.

Doctors - Evans - Infection - Friday - Evans

Doctors began treating Evans for an infection, but by Friday, the 19th, Evans’ husband, Daniel, announced on Rachel’s blog that doctors had placed her in a medically induced coma after discovering her brain was experiencing constant seizures. As of Tuesday, the 23rd, Daniel says she is still in the coma and that the doctors are “working to balance her treatment in an attempt to avoid negative effects of the constant seizures but also avoid possible negative effects of any medications used to sedate her and control them.”

A GoFundMe page to help the Evans family with mounting medical expenses has been set up by Sarah Bessey, Jeff Chu, and Jim Chaffee, who are involved in the Evolving Faith Conference. Evans is scheduled to speak at Evolving Faith in October. In just one day, the campaign has raised more than $66,000. The comments on the page point to the impact Evans’ writing has had.

Evans - Followers - Church - World - Comment

Most of Evans’ followers describe themselves as feeling marginalized in the church world. One comment reads “Rachel has helped me reconcile my faith with my political beliefs. To use the words of LM Montgomery, I find her to be a ‘kindred spirit’. My prayers are with those [sic] her and all those who love her and hold her dear.”

Evans drew the ire of the evangelical world when she suggested pro-life Christians would be better off voting for Hillary Clinton in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Freedom is Never Free!