The Russo Brothers Talk ‘Avengers: Endgame’, Stan Lee, Lasting Stakes and More [Spoiler-Free Interview]

/Film | 4/23/2019 | Peter Sciretta
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/anthony-joe-russo-e1544023049663.jpg

A few weeks back, I sat down with the Joe and Anthony Russo, the brother filmmaker team behind Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War and the upcoming conclusion to the Infinity Saga, Avengers: Endgame. Unlike the usual Hollywood junket, we were not shown the movie. And the directing duo would not entertain any questions about plot, so this interview is completely spoiler-free.

In my conversation with the Russo Brothers, we discuss Stan Lee‘s final MCU cameo, the movies they watched before making Endgame, the change of tone and point of view, Captain Marvel’s changing look, the challenge to create lasting stakes and impact, the tightrope walk of being honest with the press when it comes to spoilers, and the unprecedented marketing campaign for this film, which somehow avoids revealing any of the major action scenes.

Peter - Interviews - Career - Nothing

Peter: So this is one of the toughest interviews of my career because I have seen almost nothing.

Joe Russo: Want to talk about bass fishing?

Song - Footage

Can we talk about the song that starts off the footage we saw?

Okay.

Joe - Russo - Sorry

Joe Russo: Sorry.

We know Stan Lee has a cameo in this movie. Did his death affect that at all?

Joe - Russo - Cameo - Death - Cameo

Joe Russo: It did not affect it because we already shoot his cameo prior to his death, but this is the last filmed cameo for Stan.

On the previous film you guys were saying that Thanos is the main character. And I know this is an ensemble movie, but if you had a gun to your head and I was like, who’s the main character of this movie, who would you say?

Anthony - Russo - Specifics - Trap - Movies

Anthony Russo: No, we won’t tell you what specifics, but we will say this, that the trap with two movies that are part of a series like this is that they ultimately can feel like the same film....
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.