Google I/O: Smart home announcements we expect from the conference

CNET | 4/23/2019 | Andrew Gebhart
fufu-fefefufu-fefe (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/u8gnnGk-22yaaek1UlMG_BUHyfE=/756x567/2018/10/19/07b5468d-8d73-4e74-b35e-f7a5b28be50a/google-home-hub-15.jpg

Google could be ready to expand its smart home lineup. The company's annual developer conference, Google I/O, is right around the corner, kicking off May 7. This year, we're expecting updates to the company's Android mobile software and perhaps cool new augmented-reality gadgets. It could also be a big year for Google's smart home efforts.

At CES in January, Google showed off a trimmed-down version of a smart display meant for your beside called the Lenovo Smart Clock. We've seen leaks of a bigger smart display with a built-in Nest Cam that could be called the Nest Hub Max.

Google - Google - Assistant - Connect - CES

Google also debuted Google Assistant Connect at CES. The idea behind Assistant Connect is to allow companies to build hardware that talks directly to nearby Google Home devices over Bluetooth. Google showed an e-ink display and a button as prototypes. The device sends a query to a nearby Google Home, Google's cloud handles the computing, then the display can show the current time or weather. It's a similar approach to the one Amazon launched last fall with its Amazon Echo devices serving up features to satellite Microwave and Wall Clock products.

At I/O, look for Google to update us on the Lenovo Smart Clock and Google Assistant Connect and hopefully debut a new smart display from Nest.

Screenshot - Info

A screenshot of the leaked info.

Last month, Google appeared to accidentally leak a new device called the Nest Hub Max on the company's product page. A screenshot captured before the listing was taken down boasted of a "10-inch screen and stereo speakers."

Product - I/O - Nest - Cam - Security

Assuming this product exists, it could easily launch at I/O. Expect it to have a built-in Nest Cam -- so it could double as a security device complete with customizable motion alerts. Including the word "Max" in the title also suggests it will have a somewhat...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do you exist for Something or Nothing?