End Your War Against Weakness

Desiring God | 4/22/2019 | Scott Hubbard
Frost123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/the-man-god-never-meant-for-me-to-be-gf79w2rl-en/landscape/the-man-god-never-meant-for-me-to-be-gf79w2rl-742e651528ff32f5dca8899bd87bdccc.jpg?ts=1555615285&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

For a few weeks during my freshman year of college, I was a man at war.

You could find me in the campus library, hunched over a book, my fingers furiously scanning the page. Never had anyone consumed Victorian literature and oceanography textbooks so quickly, so intensely. Nor, perhaps, had anyone retained so little.

Path - Students - Reading - Abilities - Art

The path was well-worn. As with so many other students of merely average reading abilities, I was working to master the art of speed. And, along with the majority, my reading legs eventually couldn’t handle the sprint, and I returned to walking through books.

Looking back, those weeks appear to me now as a skirmish in a larger war — one I’ve been waging for a long time, one many of us give our whole lives to. Too often, we spend our days on the battlefield, waging war against our own weaknesses.

Weaknesses - Parts - Sins - Weaknesses - Traits

By weaknesses, I mean those parts of us that keep us from doing what we want to do or being who we want to be. Unlike sins, weaknesses are morally neutral, traits that usually do not (and need not) change as God’s grace renovates us.

We are, for example, not as intelligent as we wish we were, not as athletic, not as good-looking, not as musically gifted, not as charismatic in front of a crowd, not as witty, not as productive, not as skilled at leading, not as fast at reading, not as creative in writing. Although some of these weaknesses yield to disciplined attempts to overcome them, many of them are firm as a rock face. We may push, strain, and put our shoulder into it with a running start, but we find over time that the rock is going nowhere. This weakness is our lot.

War - Weaknesses - Tamest

Our war with such weaknesses is understandable. The tamest of them can be...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .
Tagged: