Let’s Get Out Of This Place

Glory to God for All Things | 4/22/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/glory2godforallthings/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2012/11/christ-the-conqueror-of-hell1.jpg

The Saturday before Palm Sunday is known as Lazarus Saturday among the Orthodox, and they celebrate Christ raising him from the dead just prior to His entrance into Jerusalem (gospel of John). It is a feast that offers something of a preview of Christ’s resurrection, and a foretaste of the General Resurrection at the End of the Age. Some years back I sat in a cave that is purported to be the grave of Lazarus. I could not help but think of him – but of him in Hades rather than the tomb. It is said in the Fathers that when Christ raised him from the dead, it was necessary for Him to say, “Lazarus, come forth!” For had He only said, “Come forth!” all of the dead would have risen before their time. It’s a thought that I like a lot.

It is also, however, a thought that has occurred to Hades itself, at least in the hymnody of the Church:

Lazarus - **** - Rise - Bonds - Loss

I implore you, Lazarus, said ****, Rise up, depart quickly from my bonds and be gone. It is better for me to lament bitterly for the loss of one, rather than of all those whom I swallowed in my hunger.

Why do you delay, Lazarus? cried ****. Your Friend stands calling to you: ‘Come out.’ Go, then, and I too shall feel relief. For since I swallowed you, all other food is loathsome to me.

Christ - Come - Forth - **** - Cries

It is as if when Christ says, “Come forth!” **** cries, “Get out!”

Most of the Orthodox hymns surrounding Christ’s death and resurrection (and Lazarus’ as well) center on the notion of the “Harrowing of ****.” The object of the Cross is not the wrath of God, but the death and confinement of man. It is the virtual non-existence that holds us in death that is trampled down...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Glory to God for All Things
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: