3 Ways to Treat Your Predecessor

ChurchLeaders | 4/21/2019 | Staff
joseph76 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/4.22.HOME_.CC.TreatPredecessor.jpg

Since being named Kenton Beshore’s successor and becoming the senior pastor of Mariners Church eight months ago, other church leaders have started to ask questions of us about succession. There are many churches in this season, where the church is led by a faithful and great leader who has led for many years and is nearing “retirement,” and there are questions about who will succeed that leader and how in the world will it happen. Side note: Kenton will rebuke you if you use the word “retirement” to describe him as both he and Laurie (his wife) have many more great years of ministry in front of them and are clear on what the Lord has called them to do.

One of the great gifts the Lord gave me in coming to serve Mariners is a relationship with Kenton. Being able to spend time with Kenton and learn from him made the opportunity at Mariners more attractive to me, not less attractive. Thankfully I feel more strongly about that now than I did eight months ago. I recently asked Kenton to allow me to officially announce to the church that he was going to continue to teach on our teaching team. Not all successors will want that from their predecessors and not all predecessors will desire that or even stay in the area to be able to offer that.

Lot - Relationship - Kenton - Church - Relationship

I have benefited a lot from the relationship with Kenton, but I also believe our church has benefited from our relationship. They are able to see unity across generations, mutual respect, Christian love and a shared commitment to the church.

Regardless if there is a formalized ongoing relationship or not, the church benefits from knowing the successor values the predecessor. They value him and you should too! They love him and you should too....
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: