Self-Denial ≠ Self-Destruction: When Do I Leave My Job?

The Gospel Coalition | 4/22/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/18155100/Self-Denial-Self-Destruction-When-Do-I-Leave-My-Job-.jpg

My work environment is difficult, defined by unhappy colleagues, poor management, and weak/mistrusted leadership. I enjoy some of the work I do, but I don’t feel it’s an opportunity unique to this place. My current job situation is draining me, emotionally and otherwise, but I know God doesn’t just call us to easy, happy-go-lucky things. I’m just having a hard time discerning whether God wants me to dig in here and pursue purpose in less-than-ideal circumstances, or if the challenges stacking up might be his way of revealing he has something else for me. How do I determine whether I should stay put or pursue something else?

Many times in our work journey, my wife and I have faced difficult environments and sought the Lord’s wisdom on whether to persevere or to find a better place for our gifts and skills. Years ago, a close friend and prayer partner remarked: “You cannot leave something just because it’s hard.”

Toxicity - Work - Sign - Fidelity - Trial—or

How do we know when the current toxicity at work is a sign for fidelity under trial—or when it’s a providential indication to move on? Here’s an insight that has helped us make several transitions under trying circumstances: Biblical self-denial is not a call to personal self-destruction.

When our Lord Jesus Christ summons us to “leave all and follow” and “deny yourself and take up your cross,” it is an urgent summons for kingdom obedience—and no excuses will do in light of the Master’s call. No institutions, relationships, or internal fears should hinder our obedience to the gospel call (Luke 9:57–63).

Boundaries - Focus - Summons - Delays - Sovereignty

But it’s important that we understand the boundaries and focus of this summons to suffering. Our leaving, self-denying, and refusing to excuse delays means relinquishing our sovereignty in favor of God’s, choosing his will over ours. Self-denial focuses on taking off the old nature, putting...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!