Sri Lanka Easter attacks draw international condemnation, prayer for victims

Catholic News Agency | 4/21/2019 | Staff
catcrazy24 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/Sri_Lanka_attacks_Getty.jpg

Colombo, Sri Lanka, Apr 21, 2019 / 12:40 pm (CNA).- Religious and civil leaders have responded with condolences, prayer, and calls for justice after several explosions at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka killed more than 200 people and injured hundreds more on Easter Sunday.

Calling it “a very, very sad day for all of us,” Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, Archbishop of Colombo, canceled all remaining Easter Masses for the day in the Colombo district.

Sorrow - Sympathy - Families - Someone - Destitute

He expressed his “deepest sorrow and sympathy to all those innocent families that have lost someone, and also to those who have been injured and rendered destitute,” Vatican News reported.

“I condemn – to the utmost of my capacity – this act that has caused so much death and suffering to the people,” Ranjith said. He called for a strong and impartial inquiry to find those responsible for the attacks.

Conclusion - Urbi - Orbi - Address - Easter

At the conclusion of his Urbi et Orbi address on Easter Monday, Pope Francis said the violence in Sri Lanka has brought “grief and sorrow” to the people there.

“I wish to express my affectionate closeness to the Christian community, struck while it was gathered in prayer, and to all the victims of such cruel violence,” he said.

Lord - Prayers - Attacks

“I entrust to the Lord all those who have tragically perished,” he said, adding his prayers for those who are injured and suffering from the attacks.

Shortly before 9 a.m., explosions were detonated during Easter Mass at Catholic churches in the Sri Lankan capital, Colombo, and in Negombo, a city 20 miles to its north. At the same time, a bomb exploded at a service at the evangelical Zion Church in Batticaolo, on Sri Lanka’s east coast.

Pews - Blast - St - Anthony - Shrine

Pews were shattered by the blast at St. Anthony’s Shrine in Colombo, and floors and ceilings were covered in blood. The Catholic shrine is the most well-known church in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It is time to put away the our toys and propaganda we've been taught as children and think for ourselves.