Easter and the bizarre Christian faith

www.christianpost.com | 4/21/2019 | Staff
boti (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.christianpost.com/files/original/thumbnail/23/07/230798.jpg

I have no problem saying—in fact, I think is it good and healthy to say—that I have, and have always had, some intellectual barriers to the Christian faith.

Not all the time, but enough of the time.

Waste - Energy - Part - Years - Blogging

As I said I don’t mind admitting it, because to do otherwise would be a colossally silly waste of energy on my part, plus, judging from years of blogging, writing, teaching, speaking, and now podcasting, I’m hardly alone.

I’m also in ancient company here. The intellectual challenges of adhering to an ancient faith in a world that the ancient writers did not remotely envision has been, in one form or another, a challenge since before the time of Jesus (and you can look it up).

Nature - Christian - Faith - Categories

And so, I am both comforted by and attracted to the counterintuitive nature of the Christian faith that mocks my intellectual categories.

The gospel does not simply challenge our thinking so we adopt a more excellent philosophy, some other chain of argumentation that promises to give us a sure and stable intellectual foundation.

Rather—and - Relief - Gospel - Hope - Ability

Rather—and what a relief it is to say—I have found that the gospel calls us to abandon all hope in our ability to work out in our minds what the Creator is up to.

And to obviate a predictable criticism—no, I am not suggesting that we should shut down our rational minds or that theological discourse is a waste of time. I do that for a living, for heaven’s sake.

Reasoning - Humanity - Time - Place - Drama

I am saying that our reasoning is limited not only by our humanity, but by our time and place in this long drama we call “the universe.”

And so I have become quite adamant, maybe even a little cranky, in asserting that, if God exists, our thoughts and words will fail us rather quickly, and that the truth of God will necessarily draw us...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!