Sajid Javid's claims he grew up on Britain's 'most dangerous road' labelled 'bulls**t' by locals

Mail Online | 4/20/2019 | Jack Newman For Mailonline
TaylorShaye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/20/12/12509486-0-image-a-133_1555760250364.jpg

Sajid Javid is facing a furious backlash from residents of the road he grew up on in Bristol after he referred to it as 'the most dangerous street in Britain'.

The Home Secretary has been criticised by business owners and community leaders of the multicultural Stapleton Road in the north of the city following comments he made on Monday which have been labelled 'bulls**t'.

Speech - Knife - Crime - 'I - Tabloid

He said during a speech on spiralling knife crime: 'I grew up on what was dubbed by one tabloid as "the most dangerous street in Britain".

'It's not so difficult to see how instead of being in Cabinet, I could have been taken in to a life of crime.

Pupils - School - Drug - Dealers - School

'There were the pupils at school that shoplifted, and asked if I wanted to help. The drug dealers who stood near the school gates and told you by joining in you could make easy money.'

Javid said it was only due to the love and support from his parents and teachers that he did not turn to a life of crime.

Residents - Stapleton - Road - Tory - MP

But residents of Stapleton Road have hit back at the Tory MP, saying his views of his childhood street are inaccurate and distorted.

Abdul Malik, a school governor, magistrate, mosque chairperson and an owner of butcher's shops on the street told The Guardian: 'There's no justification for him to refer to Stapleton Road as the most dangerous in Britain.

Needs - Things - Area - Forward

'He needs to wake up to the things that have taken this area forward.'

Mr Malik also said he knew Javid's father and said the Home Secretary was never involved in the Stapleton Road community.

Clare - Mobley - Bristol - Florist - Street

Clare Mobley, a Bristol florist who has worked on the street for more than 20 years said: 'It's such a load...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!