The Nintendo Switch makes me feel like a kid with a Game Boy again

CNET | 4/20/2019 | Patrick Holland
idkwatitis (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/PEYyQi21899FRaFstTTCTDX1HZo=/756x567/2017/03/03/656c4028-7ac6-44b7-8027-1751ea1fc21e/nintendo-gameboy-switch-article.jpg

Editor's Note: This week is the 30th anniversary of the Nintendo Game Boy. To celebrate, I'm running an updated version of a story I wrote on March 4, 2017, just after the Switch was released.

I pick up the Nintendo Switch, and within moments I'm Link running through the grassy hills of Hyrule in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It's been 10 years since I've owned a Nintendo console, and after just 20 minutes that old Nintendo feeling is back. The Switch is Nintendo's latest console, and it is absolutely a transformer -- literally. It's a mobile gaming device that can seamlessly morph into a home console.

Nintendo - Heart - Strings - Nintendo - Classic

Nintendo has pulled the nostalgia heart strings hard lately, releasing the Nintendo Classic Edition (aka the NES Mini, aka the one you still can't find to buy) and bringing Mario back in the Android/iOS game Super Mario Run. But the Switch isn't about reliving the past. It's about translating the essence of Nintendo into a modern and unique console, and it's caught my interest big time.

The Switch has the same Nintendo essence that the original Game Boy had.

Kid - NES - Games - Super - Mario

When I was a kid I had the original NES and games like Super Mario Bros., Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon II and Final Fantasy. My favorite was The Legend of Zelda -- yeah, the original. The first time I played as Link, I couldn't believe how quickly I became absorbed in the game.

Zelda was the first NES game to let you save your progress. Its distinctive gold-colored cartridge housed a battery and memory chip -- a first for Nintendo. This save feature made Zelda unlike any other video game I'd played. Zelda's story stretched for weeks, making the overall game experience more immersive and complex, like reading a good book.

NES - Entertainment - Swiss

The original NES was an entertainment Swiss...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: