Pilate’s Holy Saturday

Anxious Bench | 4/20/2019 | Staff
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/168/2019/04/Ecce_homo_by_Antonio_Ciseri_1.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/168/2019/04/Ecce_homo_by_Antonio_Ciseri_1-768x588.jpg

In part because the gospel accounts have so little to say about Holy Saturday, in part because I often wake up this day with little to do, I often find myself speculating. Not necessarily What happened? in between Crucifixion and Resurrection — someone else can write a post about the Harrowing of **** — but What were people thinking? What was on the mind of the participants as the dramatic events of Good Friday started to turn from vivid experience to fading memory?

How their minds must have churned as the Jewish followers of Jesus “rested according to the commandment” (Lk 23:56b) of a God who seemed to have forsaken his Son. I wonder if that was the first Sabbath in his life that Peter wished he could hold a fishing net in his calloused hands, when he would have given anything to forget the sound of his own voice denying his Savior. Did Matthew and John wish they could erase from their minds’ eyes the terrible events that they would eventually write down? Could they have known then, when there was no good news to tell, that they would publish gospels?

Did - Scent - Funereal - Spices - Women

Did the scent of the funereal spices and ointments the women had prepared remind Jesus’ mother of the Magi’s myrrh, as she pondered for the thousandth time Simeon’s words (“…a sword will pierce your own soul too”)? Was Martha, remembering the stench of their brother’s once-decaying body and worried and distracted as ever, itching to return to the tomb and perfume Jesus?

Perhaps out of a surfeit of historical curiosity, I’m especially prone to speculate about the disciples about whom we know even less.

Simon - Zealot - Brief - Mentions - Luke–Acts

If all we know of Simon the Zealot from his brief mentions in Luke–Acts are his politics, then I imagine him following a downward spiral. Having hoped to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Anxious Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!
Tagged: