Living Between the Times

Biblical Counseling Coalition | 4/19/2019 | Pat Quinn
Click For Photo: http://www.biblicalcounselingcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/BlogPic-4.19.2019.png

When my son was in high school, he came out on the porch one day and announced that he didn’t like 1 Corinthians 7. Being a romantically inclined young man, he didn’t like what he thought was Paul’s negative view of marriage. I’m sure I was unsuccessful in helping him understand the nuances of “the present distress” and “the present form of this world.” Recently, I have reflected on two things related to this chapter. The first is that I believe it has hugely important truths which teach us about how to live wisely in this present age. Second, I rarely hear this chapter referred to in the context of discipleship or counseling (not to mention marriage and singleness). So I’m going to make another pass at applying the themes in 1 Corinthians 7 to counseling people to persevere through pain as they groan for God’s glory.

Consider Three Biblical Counseling Cases:

Frank - Janie - Marriage - Disappointment - Conflict

Frank and Janie are locked in what seems like a marriage of endless disappointment and conflict. They have received counseling that has taken the edge off but hasn’t resulted in much happiness. They don’t believe in divorce and feel stuck on a long and dreary road to nowhere.

Allison is a 35-year-old elementary school teacher. Her parents were in a car accident six months ago which took her mother’s life and left her father confined to a wheelchair. Allison was extremely close to her parents, especially her mother. She aches over the loss of her mother every day and the most unexpected reminders can reduce her to tears.

College - Ben - Family - Manufacturing - Business

After graduating from college, Ben took over his family’s small manufacturing business. The business has been in the family for three generations, and it has been his lifelong desire to manage it. Recently, sales are way down, and he had had to let a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Biblical Counseling Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: