Is It Worth the Work?

(in)courage | 4/19/2019 | Staff
Frost123 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2018-05_Archive21_ReneeSwope-1200x858.jpg

I thought I was over the hurt. I was sure I had moved on, but as I slipped my thumb under the seal of the invitation to my ten-year college reunion, I realized I had not forgiven her.

During our last semester at school, harsh tones and accusing anger from a friend had been more than I could handle, especially in the middle of my battle with depression.

Soul-sadness - Self-doubt - Friend - Something

I was living with deep soul-sadness and overwhelming self-doubt I couldn’t explain or escape. When my friend questioned something I’d done, it was clear she was extremely frustrated with me.

Not having the mental or emotional strength to process her criticism, I allowed her words to shove me into a pit of shame.

Years - Person - Ways - Others - Opinions

Ten years passed, and I was a different person in many ways. Still vulnerable to others’ opinions but by the grace of God’s love and healing power, along with years of counseling and medication, I had been set free from the pain of my past. Or, so I thought.

Even ten years later, holding an invitation to attend an event where I’d likely see her, my heart was flooded with painful and paralyzing emotions that mirrored those I felt the day our friendship ended.

Reunion - Invitation - Drawer - Weeks - Prisoner

I put the reunion invitation in a drawer and tried to ignore it for weeks. Eventually, though, I got tired of being a prisoner to my pain. I wanted freedom. The kind of freedom I’d experienced during the ten years in between — the freedom of forgiveness Jesus died to give to me.

With every ounce of courage I had, I returned my RSVP with a brave yes.

Weeks - Reunion - Hours - Scriptures - Forgiveness

In the weeks leading up to the reunion, I spent hours reading and praying through Scriptures about forgiveness, journaling through details I could remember about what happened and asking Jesus to help me see...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Drove my Ford to the fjord, but the fjord was dry. . .
Tagged: