Confronting OT Controversies– Part Fourteen

The Bible and Culture | 4/19/2019 | Staff
bluelilly (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/55/2019/04/51AS-GBPGnL._SX322_BO1204203200_.jpg

Q. You argue that being in the image of God is something conveyed by God to a group of human beings at some juncture. You call it a status. I don’t agree with this, any more than I agree with the Catholic notion that the image=the soul which was infused at some point into a person or persons, making them ‘in the image’. The problem it seems to me is twofold: 1) the Hebrew says they were created that way, not that they acquired some status after they existed already, and perhaps for a very long time; 2) the phrase ‘created in the image’ suggests something inherent that distinguishes humans from all other creatures— I would suggest it refers to our unique capacity for a special relationship with God, something other creatures do not have. Here I think there is a problem with evolutionary theory and what the Bible says that cannot be easily resolved.

The heart of the genomics and genetic case against an historical Adam and Eve seems to be that human beings today descend from an original group of about 10,000 hominids. But this is hardly a problem for those who realize that the Bible is not the story of the whole human race, it is the story of God’s chosen people who began somewhere in the Middle East, apparently in Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and the Euphrates. The Bible only mentions other races of people insofar as they come in contact with God’s chosen people, for instance, already near the outset of Genesis, when we hear about Cain and Abel having wives, and Cain having to go off to the land of Nod, but with a protective sign so other humans don’t kill him.

Interpreters - Gen - 6-9

Furthermore, most Evangelical Bible interpreters also do not think that Gen. 6-9 is recounting...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Bible and Culture
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: