‘Extinction Rebellion’: the climate activist movement with global ambitions
Read the Full Article

Climate Depot | 4/18/2019 | Marc Morano
roxy2707 (Posted by) Level 3
Activists climb atop buses, glue themselves to buildings and block traffic as Extinction Rebellion expands its campaign of civil disobedience.

The climate change pressure group has become a household name in Britain this week amid protests that have brought key parts of the capital to a standstill and seen hundreds arrested.

Organisation - Academics - Britain - Year - Off-shoots

The organisation, formed by academics in Britain last year alongside off-shoots in dozens of other countries, vows an unrelenting tide of protest until governments act more forcefully over climate change. It wants Britain to declare a climate and ecological emergency, reduce greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2025, halt biodiversity loss and be led by “citizens’ assemblies on climate and ecological justice”.

Modelled on peaceful protest movements led by Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr., it espouses non-violent “direct action” to achieve its goals.

Protesters - Attention - Cause

Protesters aim to get arrested to draw maximum attention to the cause.

“I believe that breaking the law is necessary because it shows the population that something is wrong here,” Stuart Basden, one of the group’s organisers, told AFP.

View - Government - System

“I want to demonstrate my view that the government as it stands is criminally negligent… by allowing the system to continue.”

The 36-year-old former web developer spent a week in jail in 2017 for his protest activities and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Climate Depot
Wake Up To Breaking News!