5 SMARTER WAYS TO EMBRACE INFREQUENT CHURCH ATTENDERS

CareyNieuwhof.com | 2/19/2015 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://i1.wp.com/careynieuwhof.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/shutterstock_458115706.jpg?fit=1000,667&ssl=1

It’s a challenge you face as a church leader: what do you do with people who only occasionally attend church?

Like at Easter or Christmas or special occasions?

Attendance - Holidays - Day - People

But infrequent attendance isn’t just for holidays any more. It’s for every day. How do you respond as people generally attend less often?

You know…the couple who comes once every two months but who absolutely calls your church home?

Question…How - Church - Attenders - Mission - Church

So, the question…How do you interact with infrequent church attenders who don’t seem to be embracing the mission of your church the way you hoped they would?

It’s simple.

You embrace them anyway.

That’s what God would do (have you read the Gospels?). I also think that’s what emotionally intelligent people do.

Urge - Infrequent - Attenders - Eyes - People

That also means, if you’re like me, that you have to fight your inner urge to dismiss infrequent attenders, write them off or just roll your eyes at people who only show up once in a while.

I know…that’s the real issue, isn’t it?

Ministry - Couple - Decades - Someone - Church

When I started in ministry couple of decades ago, if someone didn’t attend church for awhile, it was almost always was because they left.

Today, I don’t actually sense that the people who haven’t been at our church for a few weeks or a few months are rejecting us. In fact, when I run into them, they tell me they love our church. And that they can’t wait to get back at some point.

People - Church - Weeks - Months - Challenge

Most people who haven’t been at your church for a few weeks or a few months aren’t rejecting you. Here’s the challenge. Infrequent attenders haven’t left your church. They just haven’t been lately.

So what do you do?

Ways

There are at least 5 ways you can respond.

Many of today’s church leaders grew up in church. We remember a time when church attendance was simply the thing you did every Sunday. And as church leaders or volunteers, it’s...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CareyNieuwhof.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!