ADVENTIST HARPIST ON NEXT PERFORMANCE TODAY SHOW

spectrummagazine.org | 4/17/2019 | Staff
Mallory McHenry, Oakwood graduate and musician, talks about Fred Child, Debussy, and the love offering of church music.

Question: You recently spent several days recording with Performance Today, American Public Media’s program that is broadcast on more than 300 public radio stations around the U.S. You are the first harpist to be chosen as a young artist with the program. How did you come to be chosen? Did you have to apply?

Answer - Residency - Minnesota - Public - Radio

Answer: My residency with Minnesota Public Radio and Performance Today took place during the first half of the week I spent in Minnesota. During the second half, a good friend of mine and flutist, Karen Baumgartner, commissioned a brand-new piece for harp and flute by composer Joshua Weinberg called “Four Elements.”

I attend The University of Texas at Austin and Performance Today reached out to my department, the Butler School of Music, looking for young artists specifically from my school. Our faculty put forth my name and Performance Today asked to work with me.

Program

What was it like recording for the program?

It was nerve-racking, but so exciting all at the same time! It was my first time recording in a studio as a solo artist and the experience was amazing!

Group

So you have recorded with a group before?

I have recorded in studio with the Oakwood University Aeolians! It was different because that was a group effort and I was singing as opposed to playing my instrument. However, it allowed me to develop patience and a good listening ear and that definitely benefitted me while being in the studio alone.

Program - Featuring - Air

When will the program featuring you air? How can we listen to it?

My segments will air beginning April 19, 2019. They will be available on Performance Today’s website under their Young Artists tab.

Did - Interview - Performance - Today - Host

Did you also do an interview with Performance Today’s host Fred Child?...
(Excerpt) Read more at: spectrummagazine.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!