‘Fosse/Verdon’ EPs on Their Passion for the FX Series & Why Nicole Fosse’s Story Is Essential

Collider | 4/16/2019 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/fosse-verdon-michelle-williams-sam-rockwell-01-600x422.jpg

The FX limited drama series Fosse/Verdon spans over five decades, as it explores the romantic and creative partnership between groundbreaking filmmaker and choreographer Bob Fosse (Sam Rockwell) and Broadway dancer Gwen Verdon (Michelle Williams), considered the greatest of all-time. While they together changed the face of American entertainment, their personal relationship was a very complicated one and their pursuit of greatness came at a definite cost.

During this interview with Collider, executive producers Thomas Kail, Steven Levenson, Joel Fields and Nicole Fosse talked about how Fosse/Verdon came about, what brought them together on the project, what was both exciting and nerve-wracking about the TV series, bringing these people’s story to the screen without making a documentary, and why they wanted to tell the specific story that they ended up telling.

Collider - Come - Story

Collider: How did this come about, and how did it end up being this specific story?

THOMAS KAIL: In July of 2016, Lin-Manuel was backstage at Hamilton, and he got an email from a friend of his, named Sam Wasson, who’d written a book about Bob Fosse. We’d all read the book, three years prior, when it had come out, and the book was set up at FX. Lin looked at me and said, “Do you wanna do this together?” I said, “Let me re-read the book and see what’s what.” So, I re-read the book, and I was very taken by it. I had been friends with Sam Rockwell, for about four or five years, and we had been trying to find something to do. Through happenstance, we ended up at the same hotel in London, about a month later, and we’d been trying to find something that would satisfy his criteria. This story feels like an eight-hour movie that takes place in New York, in the ‘60s and ‘70s, and I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!