Can digital weights get you ripped? Tonal thinks so

CNET | 4/15/2019 | Vanessa Hand Orellana
Mireille (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/zxt-5L4R1qK_WJaBLxKsZAcH4MQ=/2018/08/17/71ce55ee-ea45-4d52-bc26-68038f6f6230/tonal-machine-learning-fitness-system-with-coach.jpg

Every fitness guru will tell you that strength training is a big part of staying in shape. But weight rooms can be intimidating when you're just starting out, which is why I'd rather take a toning class like pilates than step foot in a gym. Plus getting to a gym and back can also suck up a lot of time. So I was anxious to try Tonal, a new personal weightlifting device that doesn't use a single weight or require its own room in your house.

Tonal's "weight machine" looks like vertically mounted TV screen for your home or office. No weights, no metal plates, no barbells, just two giant arms that extend outward from the sides of the screen at the push of a button plus a built in coach on its touch screen.

Weights - Metal - Rod - Number - Display

Instead of changing weights with a metal rod, you adjust a number on the display: 30 pounds was my starting weight, but Tonal can offer up to 200 pounds of resistance. I grabbed the handle and bent my knees into position to do my first row, half expecting this thing to unbolt from the wall and tip me over in the process. Instead I was met with a good amount of resistance as I pulled back the handle -- the same feedback you'd get from a physical weight.

OK, I was impressed. But where are the weights? The wall-mounted box could probably hide 30 pounds blocks behind the display, but not 200 pound worth. The answer: The weights are digital, too.

Weight - Rooms - Muscle - Factory - Tonal

Unlike traditional weight rooms at your local muscle factory, Tonal doesn't need physical weights. All it needs is electricity. The machine uses an electromagnetic resistance engine to generate the opposing force needed for the cables to give your biceps a rough time.

Aly Orady, the CEO and brains behind...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
There's no problem on the inside of a kid that the outside of a dog can't cure.
Tagged: