First Look: Hands On With Samsung's Galaxy Fold

WIRED | 4/15/2019 | Lauren Goode
itsdonaldk (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/5cb3cfedca6a46342774595a/191:100/pass/samsungfold-2504-Edit.jpg

The first time I saw Samsung’s folding phone—the first time I held it—I couldn’t unsee the beds. It struck me as the smartphone version of two twin hotel beds pushed together to make a queen, with the suggestion of a seam visible under the comforter. But unlike a bed, designed for sleeping, the Samsung Galaxy Fold exists to occupy almost every waking moment of your life in front of screens.

Certain people of a certain age will recall a time when “folding phone” meant you snapped your little flip phone shut at the end of calls, back when we used our phones to make calls. But a fold is different from a flip. The Galaxy Fold has a display that actually bends. Starting with what looks like a thicker-than-average smartphone with a touchscreen, you crack it open like a book, and a larger second screen unfolds. Seeing it in action feels like a high-concept special effect: both stunningly cheesy and a brilliant hack on the laws of physics. That foldability is supposed to make it more versatile. It can be both your everyday phone for texting and Twittering, and your tablet for Netflix and longreads.

Device - Sale - April - Phones - Hypebeast

The long-awaited device goes on sale April 26, and it’s remarkable because it is one of the first foldable phones you can get in your hypebeast hands. It’s not the first folding phone. Concepts have been floating around for years. FlexPai, a flexible phone made by a Chinese company called Royole Corporation, started shipping late last year. But this foldable is made by Samsung, the world’s top-selling smartphone maker. The Galaxy Fold is a device that demands attention. This is not a drill.

My first encounter with the phone happened the day before Samsung’s Unpacked event in February. I met with some Samsung executives in a hotel suite...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
Wake Up To Breaking News!