Israel Lunar Backer: ‘Beresheet 2 Starts Now; We’ll Put Our Flag On The Moon’

Breitbart | 4/15/2019 | Staff
boti (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/04/Morris-Kahn-israel-space-640x335.jpg

TEL AVIV – Billionaire backer and SpaceIL chairman Morris Kahn announced over the weekend that his team would begin working immediately on the Beresheet 2.0 spacecraft after the first version crash landed on the moon Thursday evening, saying, “We’ll put our flag on the moon.”

Israel last Thursday did not succeed in its bid to become the fourth country to land on the moon when the car-sized spacecraft made it just shy of the lunar surface but crashed right before touchdown due to a glitch in its main engine.

Response - Amount - Thank - Letters - Kahn

“The response we’ve gotten has been amazing. The amount of thank yous and letters is amazing,” Kahn told Channel 12. “Over the weekend I’ve had time to think about what happened, and the truth is seeing all the encouragement and support from people all over the world is amazing.

“It gave me time to think and I thought it would be a shame to leave things like that. I’ve come to announce a new project: Beresheet 2. We started something and we need to finish it. We’ll put our flag on the moon.”

Project - Beresheet - Begins - Tomorrow - Mission

“Project Beresheet 2 begins tomorrow,” he added. “A mission team will be meeting tomorrow to start work.”

Kahn said in an English-language video on Twitter: “We’re going to put it on the moon. We’re going to complete the mission.”

Sum - Beresheet - Philanthropists - Chief - Kahn

Most of the $100 million sum it cost to build Beresheet was provided by private philanthropists, chief among them Kahn.

Kahn said three elements motivated him to fund the project. The first was to bring Israel into the space age. The second was to encourage young people to become involved in the sciences. The third was to make Israelis proud. “This is an incredible accomplishment for all of us. It’s a uniquely Israeli project.”

Channel

He told Channel 12 that he was hoping...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!