The Perfect Date Review: Netflix Film Doesn't Know What Kind of Rom-Com It Wants to Be

TVGuide.com | 4/12/2019 | Megan Vick
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/03/26/e07b29f4-27a9-46c2-a523-3a14bc4d68ce/thumbnail/1300x867/0eee15043dc3bb3bb2c20666257c7c3f/the-perfect-date-reg.jpg

Netflix is kicking off its season of rom-coms with The Perfect Date, which has all the ingredients to live up to its title. It stars internet boyfriend Noah Centineo, Laura Marano, and Riverdale's Camila Mendes. Centineo plays Brooks Rattigan, an ambitious high school senior who begins a dating service to make money to afford the tuition for his dream school Yale. Marano plays Celia, the first date that inspires his entrepreneurial adventure, while Mendes is Shelby, the girl he aspires to get when he finally achieves his dream life.

Considering Centineo skyrocketed to mainstream hottie status thanks to his role in To All the Boys I've Loved Before (and to a lesser extent Sierra Burgess Is a Loser), it's nearly impossible not to compare Brooks to To All the Boys' beloved Peter Kravinsky. It doesn't help that Centineo is rocking the same quaffed hairdo that made Peter K. such a stud. However, Brooks is absolutely no Peter. While Peter made some poor judgement calls, he was overall a great guy, and while Sierra had a much more lackluster embrace as a whole, Centineo's Jamie was virtually perfect — which is exactly what you want from a rom-com lead.

Show

Discover your new favorite show: Watch This Now!

Brooks, on the other hand, has some room for improvement. He has goals, and that's great, but he's also pretentious. It's one thing to want to get into Yale, but about 30 minutes into the film he drops the line, "I've worked too hard for three and a half years to go to a public college," while snubbing his nose at the University of Connecticut. For Brooks' information, UConn is a top-rated school, along with other fine public universities like UNC Chapel Hill, UCLA, UC Berkeley, and Penn State to name a few.

Exposition

We're told through exposition that...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!