Keep Kirstjen Nielsen unemployed and eating Grubhub over her kitchen sink

BostonGlobe.com | 4/10/2019 | Staff
my_new_puppy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://web.archive.org/web/20190410162025im_/https:/www.bostonglobe.com/rf/image_585w/Boston/2011-2020/2019/04/08/BostonGlobe.com/National/Images/AFP_1FG5B6.jpg

ONE OF THE biggest regrets of my life is not pissing in Bill Kristol’s salmon. I was waiting on the disgraced neoconservative pundit and chief Iraq War cheerleader about 10 years ago at a restaurant in Cambridge and to my eternal dismay, some combination of professionalism and pusillanimity prevented me from appropriately seasoning his entree. A ramekin of blood on the side might have been the better option, come to think of it. He always did seem really thirsty for the stuff.

I was reminded of that episode this week when Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen, the purportedly reluctant triggerman for Donald Trump’s inhumane policies of ethnic cleansing, announced she would be stepping down from her post at the president’s request. The news comes a little over a year since she took the job, and about nine months since she was infamously shame-marched out of a restaurant — a Mexican one of all things — in Washington, D.C., by a group of protestors just as the news of our official policy of separating families at the southern border was first being reported on. What a delight it was to see.

Time - White - House - Press - Secretary

Around the same time, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders and others in the administration or associated with Trump — such as Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, Mitch McConnell, and white nationalist and dirty coward from the zombie movie who gets everyone else killed Stephen Miller — were themselves being shown the door at restaurants and movie theaters around the country.

It was the last time I remember being proud to be an American. It was also one of the only times it seemed like any of the architects of this ruinous xenophobic pre-pogrom might be forced to contend, however briefly, with the consequences of their policy decisions.

Today - Opinion

Get Today in Opinion...
(Excerpt) Read more at: BostonGlobe.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!