Michael Avenatti is hit with 36 count federal indictment

Mail Online | 4/11/2019 | Associated Press
Goobee (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/11/15/12149316-0-image-a-15_1554992046364.jpg

Michael Avenatti has been hit with a 36-count federal indictment in the addition to his fast-growing mountain of legal problems.

The 48-year-old attorney was already facing state charges in New York and Southern California for allegedly attempting to extort Nike and stealing from a client.

IRS - Taxes - Years

He is also being investigated by the IRS for allegedly dodging taxes for years.

The new, federal charges were brought on Thursday by federal prosecutors in Los Angeles. They allege tax evasion, perjury and stealing from clients.

Allegations - Series - Tweets - Thursday - Morning

He denied the allegations in a series of tweets on Thursday morning.

'For 20 years, I have represented Davids vs. Goliaths and relied on due process and our system of justice.

Way - Enemies

'Along the way, I have made many powerful enemies.

'I am entitled to a FULL presumption of innocence and am confident that justice will be done once ALL of the facts are known,' he said.

Tweet - Charges - NOT - GUILTY - Truth

He followed up with a second tweet which read: 'I intend to fully fight all charges and plead NOT GUILTY. I look forward to the entire truth being known as opposed to a one-sided version meant to sideline me.'

In New York, Avenatti, who is best known for representing Trump accuser Stormy Daniels, is charged with four counts and in California for the alleged extortion attempt.

Prosecutors - Nike - College - Pay-for-play - Scandal

Prosecutors say he contacted Nike threatening to expose a college pay-for-play scandal which Avenatti said would prove the company had been breaking the law by bribing young players to play for selected colleges and teams.

He allegedly told the company that instead of exposing it, he would conduct an 'internal investigation' for a $25million fee. Nike reported him to the authorities instead.

California - Counts - Felony - Bank - Wire

In California, he is charged with two counts of felony bank and wire fraud for allegedly stealing from a client.

He is facing decades behind bars...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!