Boys and Their Toys: Understanding the Southern Baptist Convention's Celebrity Leadership Politics

<center>Istoria Ministries Blog</center> | 4/10/2019 | Wade Burleson
itsdonaldk (Posted by) Level 3
People who know me well will tell you that I tend to fight for the underdog and never hesitate to face down the big dog.

My wife knows that this penchant for rescuing the defenseless, resisting the domineering, and restoring the destroyed comes from my childhood.

Memory - Boy - Attempt - Emotions - Memory

The memory of having successfully resisted an older boy's attempt to bully me forever engraved and sealed those emotions in my memory wall.

It's one of the reasons I fell out of favor with the leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention in 2005.

Exaggeration - Boy - Years - Ministry - SBC

It might not be too much of an exaggeration to say I was a "Golden Boy" in the early years of my 2005 ministry. I pastored a large SBC church at 29, chaired a national SBC committee at the age of 33, and spoke at many local, state, and national SBC meetings, including serving as President of the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma through 2004.

But in 2005, I realized that there was a problem in the SBC.

Problem - Problem - Liberals - Ones - Trap

Some will fault me for not seeing the problem earlier. Candidly, I think I did see the problem, but I just thought "liberals" were the only ones who fell into the trap of the "good-old-boy" system of leadership.

In 2005, I realized that my friends, those Bible-believing conservatives who served beside me, were as guilty of fraternization, patronization,...
Wake Up To Breaking News!