Hammond's aide challenges Theresa May to SACK him after speaking at second referendum rally

Mail Online | 4/10/2019 | David Wilcock, Whitehall Correspondent For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/09/15/12053406-0-image-a-54_1554819329834.jpg

An aide to Chancellor Philip Hammond defied the Tory whips by addressing a People's Vote campaign event today.

Huw Merriman, 45, spoke at the Remainer event in London despite previously acknowledging it could cost him his Treasury post.

Secretary - MP - Bexhill - Battle - Sussex

The parliamentary private secretary and MP for Bexhill and Battle in Sussex - who backs Theresa May's Brexit deal - said he wanted to use the event to explain why he supported a confirmatory referendum on the agreement in last week's 'indicative' votes in the Commons.

That had been a free vote so while he avoided censure for doing it he said he was now in the strange position of facing the sack for speaking about it.

Stage - Speakers - Tory - Colleague - Change

He took to the stage alongside speakers including his former Tory colleague turned Change UK MP Anna Soubry, and Labour's David Lammy and Baroness Boothroyd.

Tory former ministers Dominic Grieve and Sam Gyimah also addressed the crowd.

Mr - Merriman - Audience - Sack - Referendum

Mr Merriman told the audience that it was 'seriously wrong' that he had been threatened with the sack if he explained to them why he now supported a second referendum.

He said that he first voted to Remain but now supports Brexit after voters won the referendum.

Vote - Order - Country - Mess

But he explained he wants a fresh vote in order to 'get this country through the mess we are currently in'.

'Parliament has failed. Parliament cannot make its mind up. There is no majority in Parliament for any one thing,' he said.

View - Majority

'So if I'm true to that view that I want to deliver what the majority voted for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis